Bernie & Marie Mullikin Academic Scholarship
Bernie and Marie Mullikin were charter members of St. Stephen’s United Methodist Church and faithful members throughout their years of service. Very supportive of the clergy and their role in ministry, they often helped young clergy fund their seminary education. The Mullikin Endowment has been established for that purpose.
This endowment was established for young persons seeking post-graduate education toward a goal of ordained ministry or camp and retreat ministry in the United Methodist Church. The following preferences and requirements will be respected:
- Must be an approved candidate for ministry in the Memphis Conference of the United Methodist Church (or newly formed conference in the case of a proposed merger)
- Preference will be given to current or former staff in good standing of Lakeshore Camp and Retreat ministry
- Preference will also be given to persons under the age of 35
- Preference will be given to the above candidates who demonstrate financial need
- Candidate must have completed undergraduate requirements and/or approved for admission to a post-graduate program (e.g. Seminary)
- A cover letter expressing the desire to be considered for the grant
- A resume of work history and service in ministry
- A statement of one’s call to ministry with the specifics of approved candidacy (i.e. – District Committee on Ministry that approved it, dates, home/sponsoring church, mentors assigned)
- Two references from persons you have worked under in ministry
- A timeline for the next 10 years showing the completion of education and ministry goals (i.e. – expected graduation date, certification or commissioning date, hopeful appointment dates, ordination date)
Varies based on market performance related to the endowment fund. At 4% of the previous year’s corpus, the grant should be no less than $1,000.
Timeline for Submission & Granting Process
May 31: Deadline for submission of grant request with all requirements complete.
June 1-30: Review of grant submissions/applications.
July 31: Grant committee to meet and make the decision.
August 15: Grant sent to the Bursar or Treasurer of your approved institution of post-graduate theological education.
Mullikin Academic Grant Committee
Lakeshore Camp & Retreat Center
1458 Pilot Knob Rd
Eva, TN 38333