Confirmation at Lakeshore
Confirmation is a huge first step for a young Christian to take. It teaches a child the importance of faith and being a responsible member of their church family.
Whereas many Confirmation events are held by one church group, the Confirmation Retreat at Lakeshore consists of multiple church groups learning together to increase the confirmand’s grasp of the community and fellowship they are now a part of.
Date: February 16-18, 2024
We will experience some of Christianity’s basic doctrines this weekend. Major lessons during this weekend include: who is God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit; sin and redemption; the Bible; and the church.
Date: March 15-17, 2024
We will experience some of our Wesleyan heritage foundational tenants during this weekend. Major lessons include: the history of the United Methodist Church; Grace; sacraments; Quadrilateral; and Wesley’s three general rules.
- Price: $111 per participant (if attending 1 retreat)
$212 per participant (if attending both retreats)
- For: youth in grades 5th-8th
- Online Brochure
- Arrival Time: 7 pm on Friday (please eat before arriving, there’ll be no meals on Friday)
- Departure Time: 12 pm on Sunday (lunch will be served)
**Cancellation Policy can be found at the bottom of the page**
Prior to the Retreat
Select counselors who will be good role models. They must be senior high age or older. We will need one counselor for every five students of each gender and at least one counselor for each gender you send. (For example: if you have two boys and three girls, send a male and a female counselor. For six boys and three girls, send two male and one female counselor.)
If you prefer to assign adult mentors to your confirmands on a one-to-one or one-to-two basis, you may do so and they will be seated with their students. Mentors, however, are not necessary for the retreat. (But please meet the minimum counselor requirements set in the bullet point above)
Select and meet with your confirmands to explain the process you have chosen and to let them know that they will not be asked to make a decision at the retreat. We feel it is the pastor’s role to work with the confirmand at the point of decision making. Organize transportation for the event and be there to send them off with prayer, if you are not accompanying them on the trip.
After the Retreat
- Hold a session with your confirmands and mentors to share the story of your local church. This would be a great time to have volunteers share what life in the local church has meant to them.
- Consider scheduling one or two field trips to such places as the “Upper Room Chapel” in Nashville, the Conference Connectional Ministries Office, United Methodist Neighborhood Center, Reelfoot Rural Ministries, and/or the Campus Ministries.
- Schedule and teach the final six sessions of the Credo Confirmation Curriculum (or the curriculum of your choice) on making and living their commitment.
- Meet individually with each confirmand to discuss their experience and assist them in their decision. Consider meeting with their parents to help them with any concerns.
- Set update to receive your confirmands into membership and baptize those not previously baptized.
Cancellation for Confirmation 1: Being Christian
Full Refund up to 14 days prior to event (February 2nd)
50% Refund is given up to February 12th
No refund will be given starting February 13th
Cancellation for Confirmation 2: Being Methodist
Full refund up to 14 days prior to event (March 1st)
50% refund is given up to March 11th
No refund will be given starting March 12th